Our final 2021 Mayesh Design Star, Amy Balsters of The Floral Coach, was my very special guest for this episode. We chatted all about BOUQUETS! In particular, Amy took a deeper dive into her first Design Star video all about creating a spiral bouquet - talking about efficiency, pricing, and finishing touches along with touching on topics like what to do with big stemmed flowers & bouquet trends.
- You talk about effective mechanics & efficiency when describing the benefits of using the spiral technique. What are a few other bouquet tips for efficiency?
- being intentional in the selection of your material
- proper process
- clean, clean, clean, clean
- We always get questions about pricing - can you talk about how your price your wedding bouquets?
- Pretty Squared: How do you finish a spiral bouquet off? With greenery? Do you lower the flowers on the collar?
- Sergio commented on cutting the stems while designing the bouquet: The problem with cutting the stems before one is finished is that sometimes stems end up really short if you want to pull a flower higher... the end result in this case, if it goes into a clear vase, one will see that the stems are too short and need to use a lot of water. So, cut the stems at the end to avoid bad surprises…
- Can you address this?
- kelley_girl: Can you tell me how you keep a spiral bouquet fresh throughout the wedding & reception? Especially in hot weather.
- I feel like the loose & airy garden-style bouquet has been on trend for quite some time. Do you see that changing and do you see any other bouquet trends coming up?
- floraadorastudio: I have a question: What are your tips for how to include king protea into the spiral? I have a wedding next weekend and the bride specifically wants King Proteas. I have ordered them in the smallest size but still find them tricky.
- Blanton Floral - I struggle to make it loose and not too tight or have too much product with a spiral.
- Floral Court co - What book did she mention (I don’t remember lol sorry) - AIFD Guide to Floral Design - find it listed in Amy's Amazon List
- Mi viva designs - Do you wire dahlias, sunflowers, or other thick stems to eliminate those stems?