Mornings with Mayesh: Flower Love w/ Kristen Griffith-VanderYacht
Yesterday, I had so much fun delving into the world of floral design with Kristen Griffith-VanderYacht. Kristen is a renowned floral designer and author of the book "Flower Love". He shares his journey in the industry, the challenges he faced, and the valuable lessons he learned along the way. Kristen also discusses his new book and dives into what readers can expect, how he selected the cover images out of the 45 designs showcased in the book, his philosophy on self-care and "it's just flowers, and how the book can inspire all designers of all levels. So let's dive in and explore the world of flowers with Kristen Griffith-VanderYacht.
P.S. Also, as mentioned during the show, be sure to check out the other books I have featured in past shows!
Below are the podcast, video replay, and show notes:
- Kristen, we are here today to talk about your new book, Flower Love. Can you tell us more about the book and what readers can expect?
- With 45 designs showcased in the book, how did you decide which one to feature on the cover?
- You mentioned self-care in your book. What role do you believe flowers play in enhancing our emotional well-being and connection with nature?
- Can you elaborate on the saying used in the book, “it’s just flowers”?
- In the middle of the book, you tell the story of your “big break”. You went into great detail, but I was hoping you could share a little about the story.
- How has your personal relationship with flowers evolved over the years, and how is it reflected in the book?
- What's next for you in your journey with flowers and creativity after the release of "Flower Love".
Audience Questions & Comments:
- Malva & Moss Floral Studio Social media often showcases stories of success, and it's relatively rare to find experienced florists who are willing to openly share their failures. However, we are all human, and these experiences are often the most valuable, as they provide significant learning opportunities. Can you recount a time when you faced a significant setback, made a mistake, or encountered a challenge that ultimately taught you a valuable lesson and knowledge you'd like to share? Additionally, I truly appreciate your authenticity and openness! Please, continue to stay true to yourself, and never lose that quality!
- The Floral Cottage Do you suggest buying like a Mayesh Pull and put a bunch of arrangements together when your starting out to get pics and sales?
- rosemarysgardenflorals This book is such a great concept! It looks easy to understand the recipes, appreciate that ☺️
- flowersbybiancajade I’m self-taught and working off insta and FB , I’d like to grow my teeny tiny business but feel lost in how to!!!!
- rosemarysgardenflorals I would really love to learn more about how to connect with wedding planners! I feel like contacting them out of the blue is odd, but I really don't know what is common in the industry
- flowersbybiancajade And what programs and software did u start out with or do you recommend for a little biz starting out from an organizational, admin
- holidayhillevents I just want to hug you lol
- Holidayhillevents I always order extra for myself
- homestead_weddings_and_events Awww thanks for the words of wisdom! I needed to hear so many of things you mentioned today:)
- holidayhillevents How do you feel about styled shoots?
- anne_es_garden_fresh Love the free flowers on Monday idea!
- foresthillflowers Love all this flower power wisdom, Kristen!
- anne_es_garden_fresh “Inner saboteur” is a choice - aha!
- holidayhillevents I want the STORIES!
- florastories.sfbayarea Any advice on how to be more confident in pricing and getting higher end clients
- holidayhillevents Wisdom is when we can grow from other people's experiences. I love that you share yours.
- analuisavillalpando Thank you for sharing. Beautiful reminder of our worth.
- anne_es_garden_fresh Could “Stories” become a calendar?
- tlingitkiwi Any workshops coming up?
- anne_es_garden_fresh Your art work for “Wild Bloom” with the fruit, tendrils & flowers is gorgeous and tender and just the right wild for me.
- yblacker Flower therapy counts
- lauriemcoleman I think you are right. You have to learn to set reasonable expectations. Many creatives are perfectionists, which leads to terrible stress.